Do you find yourself at a weight-loss plateau? Are you struggling to lose those last 5, 10, or 15lbs? What’s making you cling to that extra weight? How about you ask yourself a few questions:
- Am I eating when I am not hungry?
- Do I go more than 4 hours without eating?
- Do I forget to pack snacks throughout the day?
If you anwsered yes to any of the above questions, you could be sabotaging your own weight-loss efforts! Less is not always more! Let’s review each of these points more thoroughly.
- Am I eating when I’m not hungry? It’s common for individuals to eat at specific times throughout the day. For instance, maybe you always eat a snack at 10 am, but is that out of habit or are you actually hungry? Just because 10 am is when you always eat a snack, doesn’t necessarily mean your body is ready to eat at that time. Perhaps if you listen to your body, you will find you are not even hungry until 10:45am! There’s an excellent book written by Evelym Tribole, M.S., R.D. and Elyse Resch M.S., R.D., F.A.D.A, called Intuitive Eating. This book teaches eating principles based on listening to your body; eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. While it seems to be a simple concept, it may be harder than you think. I encourage you to explore this concept and listen to your body’s natural hunger cues! You will be surprised how much less you eat, when you are eating to LIVE and not living to EAT!
- Do you go more than four hours without eating? Is it common for you to go long periods of time without eating? Are you guilty of not listening to your body’s hunger cues and pushing the hunger aside? Do you often skip breakfast? If this sounds familiar, you could be slowing down your metabolism. While you may only eat two meals per day, this may lead you to over-eat at those two meals, causing your body to store excess calories as fat. You also risk drastic dips and spikes in blood sugar, which can be especially troublesome to those with diabetes. My suggestion is to listen to your body!! Generally, you will feel the pang of hunger about 2-3 hours after a meal, especially if you only ate until your were SATISFIED the last time you ate!
- Do you forget to pack snacks throughout the day? When you neglect to pack your own snacks throughout the day, you are more prone to double dipping the office candy jar, grabbing fast food on your breaks, or commiting mistake #2. While you may think you are eating less because you only ate lunch throughout the day, you may forget about all those trips to the candy jar or the vending machine. These calories add up quickly, preventing you from losing those last few pounds! Be sure to pack some healthy snacks for when those hunger pangs strike!!
If the above scenarios sound familiar, don’t sabotage your weight-loss any longer!! Listen to your body’s hunger cues, eat consistently throughout the day, and be sure to pack your own snacks so you are not tempted by office goodies!!
Looking for more simple ways to boost metabolism and speed your weightloss? Learn how simple snack swaps can boost your weight-loss!!Print