I’ve never been much of a popcorn eater but know plenty of people who live and breathe for those puffed up little kernels. By now, most people know that popcorn can be a healthy, high fiber, whole grain addition to your diet. That’s why there are plenty of microwaveable popcorn companies on the market, wanting you and your family to experience the taste and flavor of being at the movies from the convenience of your home.
What you might NOT know, is that there are dangerous chemicals lurking in that “harmless” bag of microwaveable popcorn.
According the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the steam from microwave popcorn contains nearly four dozen chemicals. One chemical, diacetyl, used to add the buttery flavoring to popcorn, was removed from most large brands of microwaveable bags (ConAgra, General Mills, American Pop Corn Company, and Pop Weaver) because it was found to be toxic upon heating. GOOD!
However, recently researchers at the University of Toronto reported that the chemicals lining junk food/fast food wrappers and microwaveable popcorn bags are leaking into your food (source). Dangerous chemicals such as perfluorinated carbocylic acids (PFCAs) or more specifically, Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), also known as C8 (a Teflon Chemical), line microwave popcorn bags and get in to your bloodstream from consuming the food inside the bag. PFCAs have been linked to cancer and other development problems in animals.
“According to Daily News Central “In a study published last month, Food and Drug Administration researchers said microwave popcorn bags alone could expose the public to ‘hundreds of times’ more C8 than normal use of nonstick cookware.” The C8 is then ingested by the people eating the popcorn.” (source)
“Maureen McFadden of WDNU reported on 5/3/06: “Recent tests found PFOA, which can be extracted from Fluorotelomer, does cause cancer in animals.” Scientist Glen Evers explains, “Even before we cook the popcorn, the butter is already contaminated with a paper flurochemical that will be absorbed into your blood and stay in your blood for a long, long time.” (source)
I realize that many of you may be shocked or angered by the notion of giving up microwaveable popcorn. I’m not providing you this information with the intention to make you upset. My goal is for each of us to be informed about when we could be ingesting potentially harmful chemicals. I want you to understand that the next time you microwave a bag of Orville Redenbacher, you are being exposed to even MORE chemicals (than you already are on a daily basis), which could easily be prevented by using other methods of preparing popcorn (without losing all the flavor)!
- MAKE YOUR OWN! It doesn’t take that much effort to pop some kernals on the stovetop OR purchase a popcorn maker!
- Check out How To Make Chemical-FREE Microwave Popcorn from eHOW. SUPER EASY!!
- Check out Granny’s Natural Popcorn. There are no additives, preservatives and/or chemicals that are now being found in the other brands of microwave-popcorn you’re used to. To find out more about Granny’s Natural Popcorn go to: http://www.grannysnaturalpopcorn.com
QUESTION: Do you eat popcorn? Did you already know about chemicals in microwaveable popcorn? What are your thoughts?Print