When we look in the mirror, many of us do not see an emaciated body wasting away from lack of food as seen in other countries. This is something we should all feel very blessed about. However, if you take a look at the INSIDES of our body, most people are actually just as starved for nourishment as those who eat little to no food. We are a country that is severely over-fed, but under-nourished.
Obesity is one of our Nation’s most serious health problems. Obesity is linked to more than 30 major diseases, and even if you are not obese, things like cancer, heart disease, and stroke are popping up everywhere.
This tells me that although we are all well-fed; our bodies are rejecting the foods we feed it. Our organs are suffering and tumors are growing because we lack the nutrients necessary for a healthy body. Think about every empty-calorie chip, cookie, French fry, or bowl of ice cream you consume in a day that replaces highly nutritious foods like fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. Think about every fat-free, artificially sweetened, empty calorie snack you think is “healthy,” leaving out (again) the highly nutritious fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. Think about it. Write down your eats. I bet most of us are guilty.
Okay, so before I make you feel completely hopeless; read on. There are things we can do, changes we can make; it just takes an open mind and the willingness to develop a TRULY healthy lifestyle. Follow these 5 steps below and you will ALL be well on your way to a HIGHLY nourished body!
1. Toss the DIET foods. Get over it already. Fat-free, low-fat, artificially sweetened, chemical laden ingredients…they are NOT healthy! They might be low-calorie, but they will NOT prevent disease because they have very little nutritional value! All the money spent on DIET foods could be spent on healthy, WHOLE foods!
2. Add MORE FIGHTING foods. What’s a fighting food you ask? It’s a WHOLE food. It’s a food that doesn’t need an ingredient list because you already know what it is! It’s an apple, it’s an orange, it’s an egg, it’s a walnut. If it came from the Earth and not a lab, it’s probably a WHOLE food! Replace your daily “Fit n’ Lit” yogurt (60 calories) with a plum and 4 almonds (about 60-75 calories and MUCH more nutritious!).
3. Cook at home. Here’s a concept: USE YOUR KITCHEN! Take a few extra minutes every day and cook your family a healthy meal. No, that doesn’t mean you can heat up a Lean Cuisine or Hungry Man. Yes, this might take more effort than going through the drive-thru but you CAN prepare a homemade meal in 30 minutes or less. No, it won’t kill you; the DRIVE THRU WILL! Restaurant foods are notorious for trans fat, too many omega-6′s, WAY too many calories, and very little nutrients. Do your family a favor and start cooking!
4. Drink water. Soda, Gatorade, Hawaiian Punch, Sunny D…they are all garbage. I’m sorry to be so harsh in this post but I see so many little kids walking around drinking this stuff. Give them water! Start the habit early! 100% fruit juices are okay but it would be even better to make your own juice or homemade smoothies; much more nutrients!
5. Eat organic/local whenever possible. I KNOW organic is pricier. I KNOW! But I’m telling you, it’s worth it. Replace the diet foods and junky beverages with organic foods and your bill will probably be close to the same! Local foods are even better!! They are cheaper and depending on how they are grown…much more nutritious! If you are STILL not completely sold on organic, at LEAST stick to the list of the “dirty dozen. ” It’s worth it, I promise you that.
I hope these 5 points don’t intimidate you too much. Just make small changes. Start with drinking water. Once you and your family master that, try NOT buying diet foods. Little by little these small changes will grow in to really big changes! I can attest to this personally, since I was someone who lived on “diet foods!” Before you know it, you’ll be feeling better, looking better, and the doctors won’t even remember who you are (because you won’t need them as often)!
QUESTION: What changes can YOU make?
Yesterday I got some excellent feedback in regards to my post, “Is Your Husband Making You Fat?” If you have yet to check it out, catch yourself up now!Print