It doesn’t take a genius to understand the importance of squeezing physical activity in to our daily lives. The majority of people spend most of their day sitting on their bum. This sedentary behavior, day after day, is one of the main reasons why we have such an obesity epidemic in our country! So why not make a solid effort to add more movement in to each and every day? And how about we start with something as simple as taking the stairs?
With just a few more days until I enter my third trimester, I’m still trying to be as active as I can. Granted, the intensity of my movements have gone down, but I’m still doing everything I can to keep active and healthy. Not only do I try to exercise 4-5 times a week, but I also try to do little things throughout the day to keep moving; cleaning, walking outside, and taking the stairs whenever possible. I want to be a fit mama!
It infuriates me to see how many people don’t think to find the stairs in public places….and these are (seemingly) perfectly, stair-capable, non-pregnant people! Why would you rather be stuffed in to an elevator if you can avoid it?
That being said, why are the elevators conveniently located at public facilities, but the stairs are practically hidden? Not to mention that in places like office buildings, hotels, malls, and hospitals, the stairs look like a scene from a scary movie; completely deserted and with poor, flickering lighting.
Nevertheless, it’s still extremely important for all of us to make more of an effort to be active throughout the day and the stairs are a great way to start. If you work in a facility where you can take the stairs, take them! If you frequent a building with multiple levels and have never thought to find the stairs…find them! If you work near a park or building with several flights of stairs…use them! A little effort goes a long way!
Need a few more reasons to get climbing?
- Physical activities, like stair climbing, are a healthy way to beat job-related stress!
- If you climb just 2 flights of stairs every day for a year, that could result in almost a 6 lb weight-loss! Take 6 flights of stairs a day and you might be saying “see ya!” to a whopping 18 lbs!!
- Stair climbers have been shown to have lower risk of cardiovascular disease!
- Climb stairs on a daily basis and you will reap the benefits of greater leg strength and aerobic endurance!
- BONUS: Taking the stairs is often FASTER than waiting for an elevator, particularly in peak usage times. Believe me, I usually beat people in the elevator when I take the stairs!
- Taking the stairs burns twice as many calories as walking!
- Care about the environment? Stair climbing is considered a “green activity.” The only energy you’ll be using is your own!