Instead of being a “negative Nancy” about the fact I am STILL pregnant 5 days past my due date, I decided to write a post about the things I am actually enjoying about these final moments. I hope it provides some inspiration to anyone else who might be out there with a lingering belly. Here goes nothing!
- Attention. I think I mentioned this in a previous blog post but when you become visibly pregnant, suddenly the world is a whole lot nicer, especially in the last few weeks. I get asked everywhere I go if I need any help, how “cute” I am, positive words of labor encouragement, affirmations at the gym, you name it. In fact, the other day I literally got applauded at the deli counter for being at the grocery store helping my Grandma at exactly 40 weeks. I know it won’t last, so I am relishing in the extra attention while I can.
- Freedom. I started my maternity leave this past Monday and ever since I have thoroughly been enjoying the freedom to do as I please. Granted, I don’t do much, but it is nice to have the extra time before baby to clean and organize the house, stock up our fridge and cupboards, or just sit and lounge to a Lifetime movie in the middle of the day. I won’t have this freedom to do as I please much longer, so I am relishing in it now.
- Nap Time. Growing a life takes great sacrifice, but nap time should NOT be one of them. One of the biggest reasons I took maternity leave early is because my midwives wanted me to get my rest NOW before all I know for several weeks are sleepless nights. I felt pretty exhausted on a couple of the days and it was really nice just napping as I pleased. I think all this rest will really benefit labor!
- Back Rubs. I have been entitled, by my wonderful husband, to a back rub whenever I see fit. This has been such a wonderful perk. I cannot tell you how many knots I have in my neck and shoulders lately! Thank you Brandon for trying to help work out the kinks!
- Date Nights. Brandon and I have gotten very used to “doing as we please” for the past 6 + years together; date nights, vacations, shopping, etc. We realize that these luxuries are about to change quickly, so this past week we’ve had a date just about every night; movies, mall trips, dinner dates, walking in the park, etc. We’ve really been enjoying our last moments as a two and a half-some (can’t forget our cat Little Boo!). As much as I look forward to what is to come, I will never forget all the special times we’ve had together, just Brandon and I.
There you have it, my top 5 greatest things about being 40 weeks plus pregnant! Now…I’m not gonna lie though….I AM still going preggo crazy!! Are there any perks you can add to the list?Print